Welcome!

Hi there - thanks for checking out my blog. It will eventually cover my 1st year medical elective in Oddanchtram in southern India for the month of November 2007, a few weeks in Nepal in December and a few weeks in Thailand over Christmas and early 2008. Some photos of the trip can be found here or by clicking on any of the photos in this blog.

View Larger Map

Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Tots and Temples

DWDB : 9

The last few days have been jam-packed with fun touristy goodness.

Friday night the O&G dept had a bit of a get-together, and James and I were invited. There were a few songs sung (in Tamil), a few games played, and some great food eaten. One of the games involved taking turns rolling a dice and if you rolled a 6 you had to dress up in this stupid costume (see photo) and eat a chocolate bar with a knife and fork (cutlery use is less natural to locals around here). Since we'd heard some lovely Tamil songs James and I decided to regail them with Waltzing Matilda, which was met with mild bemusement and applause, and I think limited comprehension...it was great to see how the staff here entertain themselves without luxuries like television and computer games.



On saturday I saw two more deliveries (in quick succession) to finish my stint in O&G. Sunday morning early we hopped on a train to the nearby (100km) centre of Trichy (Tiruchirappalli). Had yet another amazing lunch, then headed to the Trichy Bazaar and Rock Fort Temple. The crowds at the bazaar were truly amazing - and since we were the only white folk in the area (as far as we could tell) we were instant celebrities. Invitations were flying in from all directions to have coffee, buy clothes (I was offered 50 rupee for a toddler's dress which I politely declined...) and try on shoes and jewelery. From the middle of the Bazaar we climbed 200 steps to the top of the Rock Fort Temple, from where the view was spectacular. We sat on a rock in the cool afternoon breeze for about 2 hours before coming down into the Bazaar again, which seemed to have become even more crowded.



That night we had a few (some might say a few too many) ice-cold beers in the hotel bar. Cold beer is a little hard to come by in Oddanchatram...and the hospital frowns upon it anyway. On monday, a little hungover, we ventured to Sri Ranganatha Swami Temple, which is the biggest temple in India. (India at this time of year is possibly the worst place to be when hungover I think we all agreed). We had an awesome tourguide who showed us around for about 2 hours telling us all about the various gods, including Krishna and Vishnu.



On the way back to the train we had some time to kill so Kev and I decided to have barber shaves and haircuts. I'm still sporting my Movember moustache...I had planned to get rid of it after a few days but even though I think it is ruining some great photos I think I'll keep it until the end of the month. The rest of the guys love it and it helps me fit in with the locals here (90% of the guys have Tashes). The barber cut-throat shave is something you have to experience - its by far the closest shave I've ever had, as terrifying as it was. Amazingly, not a single drop of blood was spilled by the guy who shaved me, who had no teeth.



Thursday is a Hindu festival called Diwali and it involves LOTS of fireworks (the ICU dept at the hosp is bracing), so before we left Trichy to come home last night, we stocked up on fireworks for the festivities. It should make for some good pics :)

Thats about enough for now - you stay classy San Diego (and thanks for dropping by!)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Haha Simo!!! Sound like you're having a rippa time. And to quote "Some of it went on my pants"... LOL.

I love the porn* mo buddy! Looking awesome!

Photos are great too! Keep em coming.

herryr said...

Hey, I thought it's Deepavali, rather than Diwali ??? You look great with the moustache LOL ... What are you doing in India anyways ???